Thursday 7 February 2019

Happy New Year 2019 My investment journey

It has come to a point in my life where I would like to share my knowledge to like-minded people in Singapore.

I hoped my Blog can help people to understand more about investment. 

Who am I  ? - I am in my late 30's this year, I started investing at the age 23 years old I had 14 years of investing experience as of this year and I am still learning.
Investing is an activity whereby the longer you invest in it the better you will become after failing in the mistakes that we had made in the past.

Peter Lynch mentioned that a "guru"  should be able to get 7 out of 10 of his investment right all the time. I am not a guru like Peter Lynch as such I don't think I would be able to be right more than half of the time. However, time is on my side I would love to get to close to where a "guru" would be able to achieve with the power of time.












Me in my 20s - I came from a very humble background, my family taught me to be thrifty and to save the money from my monthly job after graduating from a local poly. like most other Singaporeans, after serving my NS I began looking for a job. I had accumulated about 30k at the point I started working. The accumulation came mostly from working part-time when I was 14 years old  (fast food restaurant). I could still remember the pack of Marlboro (Philip Morris) cost me $2.40 then only to be inflated to close to 7 dollars for a 10 stick pack now. (yeah I know no more 10 stick pack).  Then the turning point came while I was studying for an external uni course my dad passed away while I was 25 years old I had no choice but to cease the program as we do not want to spend a big portion of it on the school fees. The funeral and hospital bills itself wiped away some of my saving. After which I reckon that by saving it was very hard for me to be well to do.

I am very fortunate that during that time Google was available to me - So I google around to understand how people got rich. Then I came across Mr. Buffet, after doing some research I think the only way to financial freedom is to invest in other people successful business at a reasonable price or to start a business of myself.

Investing in businesses - to leverage on mispricing concept to be given by the market.

I feel that it was not hard to buy stocks and so the journey began. I am very lucky to start investing in a very easy year from 2005 to early 2008 it would be hard not to make money. I invested in companies like China sky, Hongguo, fiber chem, China Hongxing etc all the S -chip. By combining with margin plus saving from my salary I was able to achieve a portfolio of close to 350k at the peak of the cycle.

In 2008 - my ex-boss asked me to head a division in southeast Asia, I declined the offer as we were unable to settle for the remuneration package. knowing that I would not go far if I stay in the company I decided to do a career switched.

In Mid 2008 - I got my trading rep license and had been a Remisier ever since.  In my current job, it gives me a view of how peoples react to emotions and fears. I got more than a thousand clients now. We always heard "to buy when others are fearful", that is easy to say but hard to practice in reality. A handful of my clients did that but most does not.  Most of the clients are fearful when others are fearful. Not only that they might cause you to be fearful when they are fearful. haha ... Investing is simple but not easy.


The greatest fear of my life........ to be continued....






Disclaimer

1) This Blog is intended only for the use of personally portfolio tracking and sharing of ideal. All the investment advice or stocks picks shared shall be view as only my personal opinion only. I do not warren the truth or accuracy of the information shared and likewise all investment should be consulted by your personal financial advisor as i do not have an understanding on your investment objective nor your investment Risk appetite as such i shall not be liability for any of your losses whatsoever howsoever should you decide to invest in any things discussed in this blog. 



No comments:

Post a Comment